The following is the text of a circular sent out by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, inviting applications for WHO Fellowships.
We have been training doctors and other health professionals under the WHO Fellowship programme. During the biennium 2006-2007, about 550 health professionals were awarded WHO Fellowship in prestigious institutions within the country and in foreign countries such as Thailand and Australia.
2. Building up on the experience of the last two biennium i.e. 2004-2005 and 2006-2007, we propose to send more number of health professionals, nurses, radiologist, laboratory technicians and para-medical staff under the aforesaid fellowships programme, to WHO Collaborating Centres in India for courses in various specialities as enclosed at Annexure - I.
3. There shall also be slots in foreign institutions indicated in the Annexure - II.
4. Kindly send nominations of interested officers especially those in the field of public health. It is our experience that the applicants are generally from big cities. We would like to afford equal opportunities to those who have been serving in rural areas or sub-divisional / district hospitals and have first hand experience of public health issues. Similarly adequate representation should be given to female officers and officers belonging to SC/ST category.
5. Efforts should be made to utilize the additional skills acquired by fellows undergoing WHO sponsored training in their day to day functions to improve the health services in the country.
6.The last date for submission of forms is 10.02.2008. Necessary direction may please be given to the concerned supervisory / controlling authorities so that the applications are forwarded in time. In case of selection, the applicants should be relieved as per the requirements of the course.
7. Copies of application form are available on our web site – www.mohfw.nic. in