Historian M. G. S. Narayanan (President), former IAS officer C. K. Ramachandran (Convener), Dr. K. Madhavan Kutty, Mr. M. Radhakrishnan Nair (Joint Convener) and Professor M. R. Chandrasekharan are among the 18 founder-members of the Forum.
The Zamorin of Calicut and the District Collector of Kozhikode have been named patrons.
The following are the objectives of the forum;
- To preserve and protect the objects and symbols that embody the history and culture of Calicut;
- To identify, evaluate, and document such objects and symbols like buildings, monuments, artefacts, documents, photographs, oral traditions etc.
- To seek professional advice and assistance in the above task;
- To promote digitalisation of manuscript and other written material for better preservation;
- To create a sense of awareness and belonging for the city’s heritage among the local community - and among students in particular - and thereby generate social responsibility for their preservation;
- To facilitate the preparation of guidelines on impact assessment of new building activities on heritage buildings and sites;
- To canvas support for adopting heritage regulations and preparation of a heritage manual;
- To design and promote heritage tours of Calicut and its environs.